Wedding Ceremonies

Wedding photo

I am very happy and excited to be able to perform weddings for all couples, regardless of gender. I am a humanist in philosophy, so do not do religious ceremonies, but am eager to incorporate whatever religious and ethnic traditions that are important to you as a couple and to your family.I have a short ceremony which I have personally developed from writings of many sources, but am even more pleased when you want to write your own words of love and commitment, either in part or entirely.

Wedding photo


Because of health and time difficulties, I prefer that most weddings take place at my home venue, which has a lovely solarium, a yard on a lake, and is next to the Arboretum, or at your home or other venue in Stamford. No witnesses are required, but any number of guests is most welcome. If children are involved, they certainly can be part of the ceremony, if you so desire.

Wedding photo

Pre-Marital Counseling

Often couples have concerns that are hard to talk about, when so in love and while planning a wedding. As an experienced couples therapist, as well as a Justice of the Peace, I can offer assistance in discussing difficult topics, and in helping a couple come to compromises and better understanding of each other.

Examples of issues that arise in almost any marriage are the handling of money and financial attitudes; stepparenting; cultural and religious differences; and dysfunctional family problems. If these and other worries can be addressed early in a relationship, their chance for effective management is greatly enhanced. This process also enables skills in honest and open communication.

Because I so believe in the value of pre-marital talking, I can provide a package of two 60-90 minute counseling sessions, at my home office, in addition to the basic wedding ceremony. To arrange appointments, and to get further information, call me or email. Also, see Couples Therapy to get an idea of how I work with couples.

Wedding photo

Legal Requirements

Connecticut laws of course must be observed. For both Connecticut residents and non-residents, the marriage license must be obtained at the Town Clerk's office in the town in which the wedding is to be held. I am authorized to perform weddings at any venue in the State. Both parties must apply for the license (not necessarily at the same time), providing proof of person, age, prior marriages and dissolutions. Depending on the locale, at least 24 hours is usually required between the time of applying for and receiving the license, but this can be discussed with your local Town Clerk. No blood tests or other waiting periods are required The cost is $40 for the license, and if you want a copy after the ceremony has been recorded, the cost is another $20. Some people have found that this is helpful for health insurance changes passports,etc. (A copy is not necessary, as it will always remain on the Town Clerk's files, and these fees are subject to change per legislative order.) You must present the completed license to me at the time of the ceremony; I will then sign it and deliver it to the local Town Clerk. In Stamford, Connecticut, the Town Clerk's office is on the first floor of the Government Center, at 888 Washington Blvd, and the phone number is 203-977-4054.

Wedding Renewals

No matter how long you have been married, you may want to publicly, or privately, make a recommitment to your union. Again, I have a short ceremony that I have written, but your input is the most important. Again, also there can be much flexibility in terms of the type of ceremony, people participating, guests, setting. The role of children, whether small, teens, or adults, is important to decide together. Some people want the renewal celebration to be informal. Others prefer to wear their original or a new bridal gown. It can be held in the original wedding setting, or in a new venue. It is entirely up to you. There are no formal licensing or other procedures to follow. This is simply a most personal, loving occasion for both spouses. Fees are the same as for weddings, see section on Policies and Fees. wedding photo

Contact Information:

Phone: 203-329-9121


winter wedding Wedding photo One of the many weddings I have performed Wedding-summer of 2015 Another happy couple Wedding on our pier lakeside wedding wedding photo Wedding photo